Sunday, January 24, 2010

Wake Up Call

I've never been very conscientious about going to the doctor as I should, choosing to go only when I am ill or my allergies act up. In fact I had not been to the medical doctor in over two years when I recently went to the opthamologist in order to make arrangements to correct my vision. I had been suffering from cataracts since at least 2004, and my eyes were getting worse--driving at night and when the sun was out were becoming more difficult. I could only see to write when I was sitting right on the computer with zoom on 140-150%.

When I went to the etymologist he told me I had very dense cataracts and scheduled surgery on my right eye for January 13th. Before surgery I had to get an EKG and blood work which I did on Monday, January 11th. When I went for the surgery they told me pre-surgical results showed a blood sugar level of 346, so they did 3 more tests revealing 402, 409 and 420, so they gave me an injection of insulin to bring it down to 367 with a recommendation to see my doctor.

When I got home from the hospital I called my doctor and made an appointment for the next day. Though the appointment was for 3:30 and was not a fasting blood sugar, it was still 359, and the PA also told me my cholesterol was high. She originally wanted to put me on insulin, but the doctor advised against it, wanting to start with oral mediation first. In addition to a change of diet, daily blood sugar checks, and 2 blood-sugar lowering medications, I am also attempting to get my weight under control.

My message to anyone who does not regularly see their doctor is--GO! Don't put it off as I did because you are afraid of the results or just don't want to bother going to the laboratory. This has been a wake up call for me because I am a chocoholic, and I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I have to learn how to eat healthy instead of stuffing my face full of high-sugar and high-fat empty calories.

You don't have to give up everything but rather learn to substitute. I am now eating a lot of whole grains such as whole wheat bread and pasta and with my next grocery store trip I plan to buy whole wheat bagels and English muffins. I have learned to eat plain instant oatmeal by adding Splenda brown sugar and cinnamon which by the way lowers blood sugar levels and tastes great, too.

No, having Type 2 diabetes is no fun, but you learn to adjust. I have three grandchildren, one is only going on four months old, so I have too much left to do in this world. Taking care of myself is more important than having fattening desserts and meals; I have come to accept that food is only a substance for energy and nutrition.

No comments:

Post a Comment